RN to BSN
Those looking to expand further their education after receiving an associate degree or completing a hospital-based diploma program can apply to the RN to BSN pathway. Their experiences as an RN and previous work in nursing provides them with unique experiences that will equip them well, and our holistic admission process takes their previous experience and the recommendation of their peers into consideration.
Holistic admission is a competitive and thorough process that considers not only a critical evaluation of grade point averages, prerequisites and test scores, but also the recommendations of the applicant's professional contacts. This entire package is what the Undergraduate Admission Committee uses to determine which students will best fit the program.
Step 1: Apply to WSU and the College of Nursing
Applying to the RN to BSN pathway is part of the candidate's application to Wayne State University. Students must apply as a transfer student with a nursing (RN-BSN) major. Applicants will be able to upload their required documents to their application status portal. The deadline to apply to the RN to BSN pathway and submit all required documents is July 1.
Applicants are eligible to apply to the RN to BSN pathway if they meet the following criteria:
- Have earned an associate degree in nursing (ADN) from an accredited program or a hospital-based diploma program with a 3.0 GPA or better
- Meet all WSU undergraduate admission requirements
- Possess an RN license prior to beginning coursework
The RN to BSN pathway does not have course prerequisites. However, the following courses/requirements must be completed prior to graduation from WSU and may not have been completed as part of a student’s ADN.
- PSY 2400: Developmental Psychology or PSY 2410: Health Psychology (PSY 1010 or PSY 1020 may be needed as a prerequisite)
- CHM 1020: Survey of General Chemistry or CHM 1060: General, Organic and Biochemistry
- Six (6) cognate credits
Step 2: Submit supplemental materials
The following items must be uploaded to your application status portal by July 1:
- Two (2) letters of professional recommendation
- Certification of current (non-expired) Michigan RN license (or reach out to the Office of Student Affairs to confirm ability to obtain a Michigan RN license prior to beginning coursework).
Step 3: Accept your offer and watch your email
After applying, you can monitor your application by checking your app status page. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you note any discrepancies or have questions. Once accepted, please be sure to accept your offer of admission. All communications from the College of Nursing will be sent to your Wayne State University email account, so be sure to check it regularly for updates regarding registration and other information.