Established in 1975, the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing program prepares researchers and scholars to generate new knowledge and provide leadership to the profession and discipline of nursing. The program emphasizes the development of the student's capacity to make significant, original contributions to nursing science. Below is the process for applying to the Wayne State University College of Nursing's PhD program.
Step 1: Apply to the Wayne State University College of Nursing via NursingCAS
For applicants who are interested in receiving a graduate degree in nursing from one of the nation's premier public, urban research universities, please apply through the AACN-operated universal application system NursingCAS. Applicants are not required to submit a separate WSU application.
Step 2: Submit supplemental materials in NursingCAS
All candidates must submit the following supplemental material when applying.
- Transcripts from all postsecondary institutions showing completion (or in-progress) of a bachelor of science in nursing with a 3.0 or higher GPA. BSN to PhD students must complete the BSN at the latest by June of the year they are starting fall semester DNP courses. To begin the review process, please request official transcripts through NursingCAS.
Please note: An official transcript/credential evaluation is required for all international transcripts (including Canada). Review of your application cannot begin without the international transcript evaluation. WSU accepts World Education Services, Education Credential Evaluators and SpanTran: The Evaluation Company.
- Resume or curriculum vita that includes education, work and/or research experience, publications, certifications, licenses, grants, professional affiliations, awards, honors, presentations, and/or courses taught.
- Please write a 2-3 page double-spaced description of your goals for PhD study. Address the following points in your comments:
- Why are you seeking a PhD degree in nursing at this time?
- Discuss your career goals and how an earned PhD in Nursing will help you to achieve those goals.
- What attracted you to the PhD program in nursing at Wayne State University?
- Identify your specific area/topic of research interest. Describe how it fits within the Wayne State University College of Nursing's PhD Program's purposes, which are stated below:
- To prepare scientists capable of generating rigorously tested knowledge that contributes to the positive development of individuals, families, communities, society and the discipline of nursing.
- To prepare nursing scholars who will test, generate and extend knowledge related to individuals', families', and communities' health promotion or to individuals' and families' symptom science; and to extend knowledge on urban environments that influence and alter health, and reduce health disparities.
- To prepare leaders for the discipline and profession of nursing.
- Every applicant is encouraged to identify potential mentors among the College of Nursing faculty. Please identify at least one to two faculty members whose program of research might match your general research area/topic.
- Two to three references from doctorally prepared individuals submitted electronically within the online application.
- If proof of English proficiency is required (for most applicants whose BSN was earned outside the United States), one of the following must be submitted with the application:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): A minimum total score requirement of 79.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): A minimum overall score greater than 6.5.
- Application fee is waived for fall 2024. Wayne State University College of Nursing is proud to offer a free application coupon code for our graduate programs. Email email@example.com to request your unique coupon code today.
Once all application materials are submitted and reviewed, qualified applicants will be invited to complete an interview. For information on program costs, please refer to the WSU tuition and fees schedule.
Step 3: Accept your offer and watch your email
Check your WSU email for updates regarding your application. Once admitted, accept your offer of admission and check your Wayne State email regarding information on registration, important meetings and more.