BSN Direct Admit for First-Year Students
At the Wayne State University College of Nursing, students come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, and we welcome the benefits that a diverse student body brings not only to the college but ultimately to the nursing profession. That's why we use a holistic admission process that looks at each individual applicant as just that an individual. This competitive and thorough process considers not only a critical evaluation of grade point averages and test scores, where applicable, but also includes healthcare related service and a completed essay form that allow you to detail your personal attributes and experiences that would support your admission to the college. This entire package is what the Undergraduate Admission Committee uses to determine which students will best fit the program.
Complete a request for information to immediately receive a link to a pre-recorded information meeting. It is strongly suggested that you view the appropriate information meeting, which covers admission requirements and program curriculum in detail, prior to applying for admission. You are invited to attend a live question and answer session after viewing a pre-recorded session.
Steps to Apply to the College of Nursing
- Step 1: Apply to WSU and the College of Nursing
- Step 2: Submit supplemental materials
- Additional information and important dates
To be eligible to apply to the BSN Direct Admit for First-Year Students pathway, you must be entering directly out of high school. Applying to the BSN Direct Admit for First-Year Students pathway is part of the candidate's application to Wayne State University. You must first apply as an exploratory pre-nursing major. Once the application status portal is accessed, select "Yes" on the Nursing Program Interest Form. The deadline to apply to the BSN Direct Admit for First-Year Students pathway and submit all required documents is December 10.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for admission consideration:
- Admission to Wayne State University
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA
- Submission of supplemental materials
When submitting your university application, you must also include supplemental Direct Admit for First-Year Students application materials, which you may upload to your admissions portal. Failure to submit all supplemental materials will result in the application not being reviewed. These materials include:
- Essay Questions: Applicants must submit answers to the following three questions. Each response is to not exceed 250 words. Upload a completed College of Nursing Application BSN Essay Form to your application.
- Describe a leadership experience that you have had (i.e., work, school, team) and/or led an initiative/ campaign to generate change and/or interest and discuss what you learned from this experience. Personal attributes of a leader include inquisitiveness, ambition, empathy and problem-solving abilities. Include a description of the leadership qualities that you possess and how they will assist you with success in the nursing program.
- The College of Nursing's mission statement states:
We create and translate knowledge and educate a diverse student body prepared to excel as clinicians,
scholars and leaders who improve health in local and global communities.
How does your passion for nursing align with the mission of the CON? Describe any experiences that you have had with diverse groups of people (or people who are different from you in some way). What did you learn from this experience?
- Courage, resiliency, and an ability to overcome adversity are important characteristics for success in the College of Nursing. Describe a time when you were faced with a difficult situation. How did these traits contribute to successfully achieving your goals?
- Describe how your Healthcare Related Service Experience(s) have contributed to your desire to become a nurse.
- Healthcare Related Service Experience: You are required to complete a minimum of 10 hours of healthcare related service. Provide a complete Healthcare Related Service Experience Form (will provide new document) for each experience and upload to your application. Examples of healthcare-related service include, but are not limited to, volunteering (unpaid) at health fairs; with senior citizens or those in Assisted Care facilities; with support groups or programs for children/adults with special needs; as a non-clerical volunteer in a hospital or community health organizations; soup kitchens and homeless shelters.
- Service must be completed within one year of the application deadline.
- Shadowing of a professional nurse is acceptable.
- Volunteer experiences must be clearly distinct from any paid positions or required school-based internship or work hours.
- Volunteer experiences may not include caring for a friend/family member.
All updates and communications from the College of Nursing will be sent to the Wayne State University email account. It is important to check this account regularly for updates regarding registration and other information. After applying, applications can be monitored by checking the AppStatus page. Contact us at email@example.com if there are any discrepancies.
|Fall 2024 Wayne State University applications open.
|Dec. 10, 2023
Deadline: Upload College of Nursing Application BSN Essay Form and Healthcare Related Service Experience Form to application status portal.
|March 31, 2024
|Admission decisions made no later than this date.