Hossein Yarandi, PhD
Professor356 Cohn, 5557 Cass Ave., Detroit, MI 48202
Hossein Yarandi, PhD
For the past 35 years, Dr. Yarandi has been involved in more than 350 research grants as principal investigator, co-investigator, statistician, or consultant. More than 50 of the submitted research grants have been funded. In these research grants, Dr. Yarandi has been responsible for assisting in formulating specific aims, research hypotheses, research design, power analysis, sample size determination, data management, statistical analysis, and data interpretation. Through extensive consultation and collaboration with health professionals, he has gained an in-depth knowledge of the application of various theories and methodological and design issues, in which he has disseminated mythological challenges and recommendations via refereed publications and presentations at professional meetings. Dr. Yarandi has authored and co-authored more than 130 peer-reviewed articles in research methodology and collaborated on various projects such as family and adolescent health (diabetes, HIV/AIDS and cancer), disease prevention, health promotion, and health disparities research with a focus on understanding the complex associations between race, health and health care. Each one of these projects requires a wide range of statistical analyses. In addition, his knowledge of econometrics a unique advantage of being able to examine important cost issues relative to health care delivery. Dr. Yarandi has analyzed various datasets and taught a wide range of parametric and non-parametric statistical methods such as regression analysis, including: logistic regression, poison regression discriminant analysis, loglinear models for random counts, generalized linear models, generalized estimating equations, linear mixed models, multilevel and hierarchical general mixed models, mediation and moderation analyses, and canonical analysis; experimental design including univariate and multivariate analysis of variance and covariance, multivariate repeated measure analysis of variance and covariance; survival analysis; time-series designs and analyses; multidimensional scaling; structural equation modeling; multivariate meta-analysis; and scale construction and psychometric considerations. All statistical analyses have been carried out using the latest versions of S-Plus, Stata, SAS, SPSS, and R. Dr. Yarandi has aksi served on more than 260 master's theses and doctoral dissertation committees, reflecting a broad range of expertise related to prevention and treatment issues.
- Ph.D., Indiana University, 1984
- MA, Indiana University, 1980
- B.S., Tehran University, 1972
- Statistical methodology
- Health care economics
- Financing health care
- Gary, A., Yarandi, H., Hopps, J., Hassan, M., Sloand, E., & Campbell, C. (2021). Tragedy in Haiti: Suicidality, PTSD, and Depression Associated with Intimate Partner Violence Among Haitian Women After the 2010 Earthquake. J Natl Black Nurses Assoc; 32(1):10-17
- Gary, F. Yarandi, H., Hassan, M., Brooks, L. Thiese, S. & Hopps, J. (2020). Chronic Stress and Depressive Symptoms in Midlife African American Women, Journal of the National Black Nurses Association, 31(1), 26-31.
- Still, C., Tahir, S., Yarandi, H., Hassan, M., & Gary, F. (2020). Association of Psychosocial Symptoms, Blood Pressure, and Menopausal Status in African American Women, Western Journal of Nursing Research, 1-12.
- Gary, F., Yarandi, H., Hassan, M., Killion, C., Ncube, M., Still, C., & Hopp, J. (2019). A Power Conundrum: Black Women and Their Sexual Partners in the Midwest, Issues in Mental Health Nursing, Volume 40, 2019 - Issue 5, pp. 431-436.
- Babaieasl, F., Yarandi, H., & Kheradman, M. (2019) Comparison of EMLA and Diclofenac on reduction of pain and phlebitis caused by intravenous cannulation. Home HealthCare Now, Jan/Feb;37(1):17-22.
- Tull, E. & Yarandi, H. (2018). A 25-year Association of Rainfall and Temperature Anomalies with Type 1 Diabetes Incidence in Caribbean Children, West Indian Medical Journal, DOI: 10.7727/wimj.2017.145
- Babaieasl. F, Yarandi, H., Kheradman, M. & Saeedzadeh, T. (2018) Low-Molecular Weight Heparin and complications of subcutaneous injection: How important is injection site selection? MEDSURG Nursing,27(3)191-195.
- Alhasanat- Khalil, D., Giurgescu, C., Benkert, R., Fry-McComish, J., Misra, D., and Yarandi, H. (2018). Acculturation and Postpartum Depression among Immigrant Women of Arabic Descent. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, DOI: 10.1007/s10903-018-0837-z
- Campbell, M., Kiernan, J., Strandmark, J., & Yarandi, H. (2018). Trajectory of Dyspnea and Respiratory Distress among Patients in the Last Month of Life, Journal of Palliative Medicine, 21(2), pp 194-199. DOI: 10.1089/jpm.2017.0265
- Sloand, E., Killion, C., Yarandi, H., Sharps, P., Lewis-O’Connor, A., Hassan, M, Gary, F., Cesar, N. & Campbell, D. (2017). Experiences of violence and abuse among internally displaced adolescent girls following a natural disaster, Journal of Advanced Nursing, 73(12):3200-3208. DOI: 10.1111/jan.13316
- Klymko1, K. Yarandi, H., Lepczyk, M. & Klymko, L. (2017). Cognition and Differences in Self-Report and Biochemical Measurement of Dietary Intake, HSOA Journal of Gerontology & Geriatric Medicine, 3(1), 1-5. DOI: 10.24966/GGM-8662/10014
- Gary, F., Yarandi, H., Evans, E., Still, C., Mickels, P., Hassan, M., Campbell, D., & Conic, R. (2017), Beck Depression Inventory-II: Factor Analyses with Three Groups of Midlife Women of African Descent in the Midwest, the South, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Issues in Mental Health Nursing, pp 1-11. Doi.org/10.1080/01612840.2017.1373175
- McDonald, P., Wykle, M. & Yarandi, H. (2017). Beauty for Ashes: A Church-Based Diabetes Care Program, The Journal of National Black Nurses Association, 28(2), pp 7-12.
- McDonald, P., Nunez, M., & Yarandi, H. (2017). A Church-based diabetes care survey in St. Thomas, U. S. Virgin Islands. The Journal of National Black Nurses Association, 28(1), 9-13.
- Campbell, D., Campbell, J., Yarandi, H., O’Connor, A., Dollar, E., et al. (2016). Violence and abuse of internally displaced women survivors of the 2010 Haiti earthquake, International Journal of Public Health, DOI 10.1007/s00038-016-0895-8.
Honors and Awards
- 2014 Poster Presentation Award: Nutrena, T. & Yarandi, H., Mediators and Moderators of Sociocultural Factors and Weight Related Behaviors on Obesity in African American Adolescents, National Obesity Society conference in Boston, MA
- 1995 Teaching Improvement Program Award
- 1992 Graduate Teacher of the Year