Leanne Nantais-Smith, PhD, RN, NNP-BC
Leanne Nantais-Smith, PhD, RN, NNP-BC
Leanne Nantais-Smith PhD, RN, NNP-BC, College of Nursing Associate Clinical Professor at Wayne State University, has extensive experience as a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner and has focused her research on the identification of noninvasive biomarkers of necrotizing enterocolitis in extremely preterm infants. She has served as a member of the National Association of Neonatal Nurse Practitioners Task Force for the 2008 and 2014 published national Education Standards and Curriculum Guidelines for NNP Education. She has also co-authored articles on NNP workforce shortage issues, NICU case reports and case-based education, a continuing education NICU module, and parent decision-making with extremely preterm infants.
- BSN – Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- MSN – Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- PhD Nursing – Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
Clinical Area(s) of Expertise
- Noninvasive NEC Biomarker research
- Development of NNP Education Standards and Curriculum Guidelines
- NNP Clinical Specialty Education
Publications (*data based; †with student)
Nantais-Smith, L.M. & Herrington, C.J. (2016). Chapter 4: "Assessing Growth Parameters in the Newborn: Identifying Abnormal Findings." In Neonatal Advanced Practice Nursing: A Case-Based Learning Approach. Springer Publishing Company: New York
Herrington, C.J. & Nantais-Smith, L.M. (2016). "Noninvasive ventilation in the preterm infant." CNE Now! National Association of Neonatal Nurses. Chicago, IL.
*Nantais-Smith, L. & Kadrofske, M. (2015). "Non-Invasive Biomarkers of NEC." Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, 29(1), January-March.
*Freed, G.L., Dunham, K.M., Martyn, K., Nantais-Smith, L., Moran, L.M., & Spera, L. (2015). "Capacity of, and Demand for, Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Educational Programs: A missing piece of the workforce puzzle." Journal of Professional Nursing, 31(4), July-August.
†Ohns M.J., Oliver-McNeil, S., Nantais-Smith, L. M., & George, N. (2015). "Nonurgent use of the emergency department by pediatric patients: A theory-guided approach for primary and acute care pediatric nurse practitioners." Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 30(4), 339-346.
*Kavanaugh, K., Nantais-Smith, L., Savage, T., Schim, S.M., & Natarajan, G. (2014). "Extended Family Support for Parents Faced with Life Support Decisions for Extremely Premature Infants." Neonatal Network, 33(5), September/October 2014. Springer Publishing Company,
Task Force. Contributing Author. (2014, February). Education Standards and Curriculum Guidelines. National Association of Nurses (NANN); Glenview, Illinois.
*Freed, G.L., Dunham, K.M., Martyn, K., Nantais-Smith, L., Moran, L.M., & Spera, L. (2013). "Neonatal Nurse Practitioners: Influence on Career Choice." Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 9(2), 82-86.
*Ennis, B. & Nantais-Smith, L. (2010). "Visual Diagnosis: Lower Lumbosacral Cutaneous Lesion in a Newborn." NeoReviews, January 2010; 11:e44.
Honors and Awards
2015 WSU President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
Nantais-Smith. L. Noninvasive Biomarkers of Necrotizing Enterocolitis: A Pilot Study. 2012-2015: Ada Jacox Research Award ($5,000) and College of Nursing Dean’s Research Award ($6,999).
- NUR 7444 Advanced Physiology and Pathophysiology Across the Lifespan
- NUR7200 Advanced Neonatal Pharmacology
- NUR 7030 Advanced Nursing Assessment
- NUR 7225 Pathophysiology, Clinical Care, and Management I: Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Specialty
- NUR 7226 Pathophysiology, Clinical Care, and Management II: Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Specialty
- NUR 7227: Pathophysiology, Clinical Care, and Management III: Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Specialty
- NUR 8650 Advanced Practice Leadership