Nancy M. George, PhD, RN, FNP-BC, FAANP
Associate Professor (Clinical), Graduate Specialty Coordinator: Family Nurse Practitioner306 Cohn
Nancy M. George, PhD, RN, FNP-BC, FAANP
Populations of interests
- Urban and rural populations
Nancy M. George, PhD, RN, FNP-BC, FAANP, is an Associate Professor (Clinical) at Wayne State University’s College of Nursing and has been a nurse practitioner for 26 years. She has been on faculty since 2004, first as Assistant and later as Director of Wayne State University’s College of Nursing’s DNP program from 2008-2016. She currently serves as the graduate specialty coordinator for the FNP program. She was instrumental in development of the DNP program proposal and curriculum. She spearheaded the DNP program being developed as a post-baccalaureate program, with the first post-baccalaureate students being admitted in 2009. Wayne State University has a long history of graduating post-baccalaureate DNP students. Her policy activity to modernize Michigan’s scope of practice for Nurse Practitioners by removing barriers began 10 years ago as the then Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioner’s (MICNP) PAC chair. She continued these activities while she was the MICNP President-elect and then President. She was been the Michigan APRN Coalition chair for q0 years. She has received numerous awards for her policy activities. She was awarded AANP State Award for Excellence in 2011, NONPF Outstanding Policy Award in 2013 and was selected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners in 2014. She currently serves on the Board of the Nursing Practice Corporation, the College of Nursing’s faculty practice plan, and has experience in running nurse-managed health centers based in community, hospital and academic settings.
● PhD - University of Michigan
● Post Masters Certificate Family Health - University of Michigan
● MS (Community Nursing Adult Health) - University of Michigan
● Diploma Nursing - Bronson School of Nursing, Kalamazoo, MI
● BS - Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI
● Adolescent Health and Hypertension
● Allostasis, environmental influences, sleep
● Health Policy and nurse practitioner practice
● Nurse Practitioner student competency based learning
Clinical Area(s) of Expertise
● Adult Primary Care
● Adolescent Primary Care
● Family Primary Care
Poirier, C*., George, N.M., Herrington, C., Nelson, F. (2019). Evaluation of an Organizational Intervention to Improve Osteoarthritis. Journal of Doctoral Nursing Practice. Volume 12, Issue 2.
Smolinski, S*, & George, N.M. (2019) Management of ketosis-prone type 2 diabetes mellitus, Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. doi: 10.1097/JXX.0000000000000183. Impact factor: 1.389.
McNeill, C*., George, N. M., Glover, R. (2017). An evaluation of SIHLE: Increasing HIV knowledge among African-American adolescent females using an evidence-based HIV prevention intervention. Journal of Doctoral Nursing Practice.10 (1).
Falahee, M. L*., Benkert, R., George, N. M., Hartlieb-Brogan, K., and Cederna, J., (2016) Motivational Interviewing to Increase Physical Activity in Underserved Women. The Journal of Nurse Practitioners. 12(10). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2016.11.002. Impact Factor 0.484.
Ohns, M.J.*, Oliver-McNeil, S., Nantais-Smith, L.M., & George, N.M., (2015). "Non-urgent Use of the Emergency Department by Pediatric Patients: A Theory Guided Approach for Primary and Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioners." Journal of Pediatric Health Care. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2015.09.003
Serowoky, M.* & George, N.M. (2015). "Using Program Logic to Evaluate ¡Cuídate!, a Sexual Health Program for Latino Adolescents in a School Based Health Center." Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing.
Balint, K.A. & George, N.M. (2015). "Faith community nursing scope of practice: extending access to healthcare." Journal of Christian Nursing. 32(1), 34-40.
Schade, E*, Oliver-McNeil, S., Benkert, R. & George, N.M. (2015). "Using Bloom’s Taxonomy and the Kirkpatrick Method of Program Evaluation in a Quality Improvement Project to Educate Nurses on Coudé Catheter Placement in the Off Shift." Urologic Nursing.
George, N.M. & Davis, J.E., (2013). "Assessing Sleep in Adolescents Through a Better Understanding of Sleep Physiology." American Journal of Nursing.
George, N.M. & Tompkins, R.* (2013). "Steatocystoma Multiplex and Adolescent Development: A Case Report." Journal of Dermatology Nurses Association, 5(2), 81-87.
Oliver-McNeil, S*., Hickman, L., McCoy, M. & George, N.M. (2013). "Causes of Thirty-Day Readmission for Heart Failure After Device Implantation: Potential to Improve Outcome." Journal of Nursing Quality.
George, N.M. & Pardee, M. (2011). "Eyes assessment." In S. Jensen (ed)., Nursing Health Assessment: A Best Practice Approach. Philadelphia: Woulter Kluwer| Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 344-379.
Rajda, C. & George, N.M. (2009). "The effect of education and literacy levels on health outcomes of the elderly." Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 5(2), 115-119.
Fleming, J. & George, N.M. (2008). "Comparison of research on hypertension risk factors in adolescents: Using an ecological model." The American Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
Benkert, R., George, N.M., Tanner, C., Barkauskas, V.H., Pohl, J.M. & Marszalek, A. (2007). "Satisfaction with a school-based teen health center: A report card on care." Pediatric Nurse, 33(2), 103-109.
George, N.M., Nichols, K. (2007). "Inverse psoriasis: A case study." The American Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 11(3), 29-41.
George, N. (2005). "Structure of the lived experience of adolescent females' sexual health." University of Michigan. Doctoral Thesis.
Honors and Awards
- The Fellow of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (FAANP)--2014
- NONPF Outstanding Policy Award--2013
- WSU Presidents Excellence in Teaching Nominee--2012
- AANP Nurse Practitioner State Award for Excellence--2011
- Graduate Women’s Leadership Program Center for Education of Women. University of Michigan--2002
- The Ella E. McNeil Memorial Award for Excellence in Community Health Nursing, University of Michigan School of Nursing--2001
Preceptor development and FNP Competency based education
Adolescent Hypertension, sleep and allostatic load
● NUR 2010 Assessment: History Taking and Physical Examination (2004-2009, 2019)
● NUR 8620 Foundations of Nursing as a Discipline (2008-2009)
● NUR 8625 Evidence Based Nursing Practice: Theoretical and Methodological Issues (2009)
● NUR 8630 Conceptual Methodologies in Health Policy Leadership and Ethics (2009)
●NUR 6520 Health Systems, Policy and Ethics in Advanced Practice: APN I (2006-2009)
● NUR 6530 Shaping Health Policy and Health Delivery in Advanced Practice: APN II (20072009)
● NUR 7165 Adult Primary Care II (2007-2010)
● NUR 6510 Health Policy, Economics, and Professional Issues for Advance Practice Nurses
● NUR 7030 Advanced Physical Assessment (2005)
● NUR 7170 Adult Primary Care I (2005)
● NUR 4050 Transition to Professional Nursing Practice/Critical Care (2005)
● NUR 7180 Adult Primary Care III (2005)