Barbara Ann Pieper, Ph.D., RN, ACNS-BC, CWOCN, FAAN
Wednesday 10:30 to 11:30am and by appointment
- B.S.N. - Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- M.S.N. - Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- Ph.D. - Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- Advanced Clinical: Wound, Ostomy Continence (WOC) Nursing Education Program, Abbott-Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1989
- Licensure: RN ‑ Michigan, 088102
- Michigan Nurse Practitioner Specialty Certification - 4704088102
- Certification: Board Certified Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing, July, 1990; Recertification: 1995, 2000, 2005, 2010 (CWOCN)
- ANCC Clinical Specialist Medical-Surgical Nursing, November 1991; Recertification: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 (ACNS-BC)
Chronic wounds and their care, especially venous ulcers.
Clinical Area(s) of Expertise
- Chronic wound care
- Chronic venous insufficiency in persons who injected drugs
Pieper, B. (Editor) with the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel. (2012). Pressure Ulcers: Prevalence, Incidence, and Implications for the Future. Washington, DC: National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel.
Pieper, B. (2016). Pressure Ulcers: Impact, Etiology, and Classification. In R. A. Bryant & D. P. Nix (Eds.) Acute and Chronic Wounds: Current Management Concepts. St. Louis: Elsevier Mosby (pp. 124-139).
Pieper, B. (2016). Atypical Lower Extremity Wounds. In D. Doughty & L McNichol (Eds.), Core Curriculum Wound Management. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer (pp. 515-529).
Journal Articles (Last 5 years, 2011-2016; * data based)
*Paul, JC, Pieper, B., Templin, T.N. (2011). Itch: Association with chronic venous disease, pain, and quality of life. Journal of Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing, 38(1):46-54. (PMID 259648)
Pieper, B., & Colwell, J. (2012). Advanced practice nursing education for the WOC nurse: Considering doctoral education. Journal of Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing, 39(3):249-255.
*Pieper, B., Templin, T.N., Goldberg, A. (2012). Fall risk and injection drug use. Nursing Research, 61(6):423-32. doi: 10.1097/NNR.0b013e3182672e3b
*Pieper, B., Templin, T.N., Goldberg, A., DiNardo, E., Wells, M. (2013). Falls and balance confidence in persons with and without injection-related venous ulcers. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 7(1):73-78, doi: 10.1097/ADM.0b013e31827ea882.
*Vallerand, A.H., Pieper, B., Crawley, J., Nordstrom, C., DiNardo, E. (2013). The prevalence of pain and its association with psychosocial factors for indigent adults enrolled in a primary care clinic. Clinical Journal of Pain, 29(10):917-923. doi: 10.1097/AJP.0b013e31827c7b30.
*Pieper, B., DiNardo, E., Nordstrom, C.K. (2013). A cross-sectional, comparative study of pain and activity in persons with and without injection-related venous ulcers. Ostomy Wound Management, 59(5):14-23.
Pieper, B., & Kirsner, R.S. (2013). Pressure ulcers: Even the grading of facilities fails. Annals of Internal Medicine, 159(8): 571-572. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-159-8-201310150-00013.
*Pieper, B., Templin, T.N., Goldberg, A. (2014). A Comparative study of the Five-Times-Sit-to-Stand and Timed-Up-and-Go Tests as measures of functional mobility in persons with and without injection-related venous ulcers. Advances in Skin &Wound Care, 27(2):82-92. doi: 10.1097/01.ASW.0000442876.94332.26. (Received the journal’s Outstanding Manuscript of the Year Award: Robert S. Abruzzese Publishing Award, 2014)
*Yim, E, Richmond NA, Baquerizo K, Van Driessche F, Slade H, Pieper, B, Kirsner, RS. (2014). The effect of ankle range of motion on venous ulcer healing rates. Wound Repair and Regeneration, 22:492-496.
*Pieper, B, & Zulkowski, K. (2014). The Pieper Zulkowski Pressure Ulcer Knowledge Test (PZ-PUKT). Advances in Skin & Wound Care, 27:413-419.
*Pieper, B, & Templin, TN. (2015). A cross-sectional pilot study to examine food sufficiency and assess nutrition among low-income patients with injection-related venous ulcers. Ostomy Wound Management, 61(4):32-42.
*Vallerand, AH, Crawley, J, Pieper, B, Templin, TN. (2015). The Perceived control over pain construct and functional status. Pain Medicine, 0:1-12. doi: 10.1111/pme.12924
*Pieper, B, & Templin, TN. (2016). Falls, balance confidence, and lower body strength in patients seeking outpatient venous ulcer wound care. Advances in Skin & Wound Care, 29(2):85-93.
*Pieper, B, Keves-Foster, MK, Ashare, J, Zugcic, M, Albdour, M, & Alhasanat, D. (2016). Undergraduate nursing students’ clinical exposure to patients with wounds in an introductory nursing course: A quality improvement project. Ostomy Wound Management, 62(4):20-29.
*Pieper, B, & Templin, TN. (In press). Sleep quality: A pilot study comparing patients with and without injection-related venous ulcers. Journal of Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing.
Principal Investigator: Effect of Drug Use on the Legs: CVI Mobility and Pain, 2005-08 National Institute of Nursing Research/National Institute of Health (NINR/NIH), R01 NR009264. 1 year no cost extension 2009, $1,126,290.
Principal Investigator: Falls, Balance Confidence, and 30-Second Chair Rise in Patients Attending an Outpatient Wound Service (QA project). 2014
Principal Investigator (with K. Keves-Foster, J. Ashare, M. Zugcic, M. Albdour & D. Alhasanat): Beginning Nursing Students’ Clinical Exposure to Patients with Wounds and Their Wound Care in a Fundamentals of Nursing Course (QI project). 2015
Co-Principal Investigator With Paul Stemmer, PhD: Protein and Cytokine Indicators of Wound Healing Trajectory. Wayne State University BOOST Award, January 2015, $35,000.
- NUR 2120 The Nurse and the Individual (6 or 5 cr) 1980 1998
- NUR 3300 Pathophysiology Related to Nursing Practice (2 cr.) 1981 1993
- NUR 4200 General Medical Surgical Senior Elective (4 cr.) 1981 82
- NUR 3120 Guest Lecturer: Patient with an Ostomy
- NUR 2050 Supportive Measures for Basic Care Needs 1998-Present
- NUR 7730 Field Practice in Clinical Teaching (Preceptor) (2 cr.) 1981 1989
- NUR 7960 Research Practicum Direction (3 4 cr.) 1981 present
- NUR 8990 Master's Thesis, Committee Member 1981 present
- NUR 7950 Field Study Direction (3 4 cr.) 1981 present
- NUR 9990 Doctoral Dissertation, Committee Member 1981 present
- NUR 7140 Adult Clinical Nursing III 1992 (Guest lecture 1990-92, lead teacher 1992-1995).
- NUR 7130 Acute Care Nursing I (1996)
- NUR 7120 Advanced Assessment (Guest lecturer: Skin Integrity and Wound Management. 1996, 1997,1998,1999,2000).
- NUR 7400 Physical & Functional Aging (Guest lecturer: Normal Age Related Skin Changes in the Elderly and Management of Common Skin Problems. 1997).
- NUR 7150 Clinical Judgment I (Guest lecturer: Diabetic Foot Assessment and Compression Therapy for Venous Disease. 1997).
- NUR 7180 Adult Primary Care II (Guest lecturer: Venous, Arterial and Diabetic Neuropathic Leg Changes. 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998,1999).
- NUR 7140 Adult Acute Care II (Lead teacher 1997- 2000; Guest lecturer substance abuse 2000).
- NUR 8100 Issues and Policies in Urban Health (Guest lecturer-Substance Abuse, 1999, 2001)
- NUR 7370 APN: Management of Neurological, Endocrine and Musculoskeletal Problems 2001, 2002, 2003
- NUR 8301 Issues and Policies in Urban Health 2001 (Guest Lecturer)
- NUR 7170 Primary Care Nursing, Guest Lecturer (Management of Peripheral Vascular Disease), 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- NUR 8301 Issues & Policies in Urban Health (course), 2002
- NUR 7370 APN: Management of Neurological, Endocrine and Muscular-skeletal Problems, Guest Lecturer (urinary incontinence & UTI; rheumatoid conditions), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- NUR 7165 APN: Guest Lecture: Substance Abuse, 2007, 2009, 2010
- NUR 8140 Professional Seminar I: Professional Socialization Fall 2010