Barbara Ann Pieper, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, CWOCN, FAAN
Barbara Ann Pieper, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, CWOCN, FAAN
Program of Research titleChronic Wound Care for Persons Who Injected Drugs (PWID)
My research is focused on the health and care of persons who inject drugs. I want them to be able to heal their venous ulcers, prevent their recurrence, and thus decrease their pain and enhance their ability to function and quality of life.
Populations of interests
Program of Research
Barbara Pieper, PhD, RN, BC-ACNS, CWOCN, FAAN is a Professor at Wayne State University. She has focused her research on understanding the effect of chronic venous insufficiency, leg changes, pain, balance, gait and falls on persons who injected drugs (PWID). Her current project examines how indicators of chronic venous insufficiency correlate with proteomic biomarkers identified in plasma and wound exudate from PWID with CVI.
A recognized scholar in PWID and chronic wound care, Dr. Pieper is widely published with over 100 refereed papers.
- BSN - Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- MSN - Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- PhD - Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- Advanced Clinical: Wound, Ostomy Continence (WOC) Nursing Education Program, Abbott-Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1989
- Licensure: RN ‑ Michigan, 088102
- Michigan Nurse Practitioner Specialty Certification - 4704088102
- Certification: Board Certified Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing, July, 1990; Recertification: 1995, 2000, 2005, 2010 (CWOCN)
- ANCC Clinical Specialist Medical-Surgical Nursing, November 1991; Recertification: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 (ACNS-BC)
Chronic wounds and their care, especially venous ulcers.
Clinical Area(s) of Expertise
- Chronic wound care
- Chronic venous insufficiency in persons who injected drugs
Pieper, B. (Editor) with the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel. (2012). Pressure Ulcers: Prevalence, Incidence, and Implications for the Future. Washington, DC: National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel.
Pieper, B. (2016). Pressure Ulcers: Impact, Etiology, and Classification. In R. A. Bryant & D. P. Nix (Eds.) Acute and Chronic Wounds: Current Management Concepts. St. Louis: Elsevier Mosby (pp. 124-139).
Pieper, B. (2016). Atypical Lower Extremity Wounds. In D. Doughty & L McNichol (Eds.), Core Curriculum Wound Management. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer (pp. 515-529).
Journal Articles (Last 5 years, 2014-2019)
Pieper, B. (2019). Non-viral injection related injuries in persons who inject drugs: Skin and soft tissue infection, vascular damage and wounds. Advances in Skin & Wound Care.32(7):301-310.
Glenn, C. & Pieper, B. (2019). Spirituality, spiritual distress, and forgiveness: Implications for nursing education, practice and research. Journal of Christian Nursing. 36(3):185-189.
Pieper, B. (2019). Working with persons who inject drugs: Be aware of wound botulism. Wound Management & Prevention, 65(2):42-43. (Special Report)
Gagnier, SA. & Pieper, B. (2019). An integrative review of depression in patients receiving hemodialysis for end-stage renal disease and the relevance to patients with wound, Wound Management & Prevention, 65(1):28-34.
Zimnicki, K. & Pieper, B. (2018). Quality project: Baccalaureate undergraduate nursing students' knowledge, skill experiences, and confidence in ostomy care, Ostomy Wound Management, 64(8):35-42.
Pieper, B. (2018). Can we talk: Be alert: Skin and wound problems in persons who inject drugs are on the rise, Ostomy Wound Management, 64(5):56.
Pieper, B. (2018). Guest Editorial: Enhanced resources help answer the question, Why Wound Care? Ostomy Wound Management, 64(3):6-7.
Pieper, B, & Sickon, K. (2018). Hepatitis C virus: Patients’ risk factors and knowledge in an urban clinic providing wound care, Wounds, 30(3):62-67.
Pieper B, Monahan J, Keves-Foster MK, Farner J, Alhasanat D, Albdour M. (2017). A quality improvement project: What first-year nursing students include in their nursing care plans for patients with acute or chronic wounds. Ostomy Wound Management, 63(10):42-47.
Pieper, B, & Templin, TN. (2016). Sleep quality: A pilot study comparing patients with and without injection-related venous ulcers. Journal of Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing, 43(5):471-476.
Pieper, B, Keves-Foster, MK, Ashare, J, Zugcic, M, Albdour, M, & Alhasanat, D. (2016). Undergraduate nursing students’ clinical exposure to patients with wounds in an introductory nursing course: A quality improvement project. Ostomy Wound Management, 62(4):20-9.
Pieper, B, & Templin, TN. (2016). Falls, balance confidence, and lower body strength in patients seeking outpatient venous ulcer wound care. Advances in Skin & Wound Care, 29(2):85-93.
Vallerand, AH, Crawley, J, Pieper, B, Templin, TN. (2016). The Perceived control over pain construct and functional status. Pain Medicine, 17, 692-703. doi: 10.1111/pme.1292
Pieper, B, & Templin, TN. (2015). A cross-sectional pilot study to examine food sufficiency and assess nutrition among low-income patients with injection-related venous ulcers. Ostomy Wound Management, 61(4):32-42.
Pieper, B, & Zulkowski, K. (2014). The Pieper Zulkowski Pressure Ulcer Knowledge Test (PZ-PUKT). Advances in Skin & Wound Care, 27:413-419.
Yim, E, Richmond NA, Baquerizo K, Van Driessche F, Slade H, Pieper, B, Kirsner, RS. (2014). The effect of ankle range of motion on venous ulcer healing rates. Wound Repair and Regeneration, 22:492-496.
Pieper, B., Templin, T.N., Goldberg, A. (2014). A Comparative study of the Five-Times-Sit-to-Stand and Timed-Up-and-Go Tests as measures of functional mobility in persons with and without injection-related venous ulcers. Advances in Skin &Wound Care, 27(2):82-92. doi: 10.1097/01.ASW.0000442876.94332.26. (Received the journal’s Outstanding Manuscript of the Year Award: Robert S. Abruzzese Publishing Award, 2014)
Principal Investigator: Effect of Drug Use on the Legs: CVI Mobility and Pain, 2005-08 National Institute of Nursing Research/National Institute of Health (NINR/NIH), R01 NR009264. 1 year no cost extension 2009, $1,126,290.
Principal Investigator: Falls, Balance Confidence, and 30-Second Chair Rise in Patients Attending an Outpatient Wound Service (QA project). 2014
Principal Investigator (with K. Keves-Foster, J. Ashare, M. Zugcic, M. Albdour & D. Alhasanat): Beginning Nursing Students’ Clinical Exposure to Patients with Wounds and Their Wound Care in a Fundamentals of Nursing Course (QI project). 2015
Co-Principal Investigator With Paul Stemmer, PhD: Protein and Cytokine Indicators of Wound Healing Trajectory. Wayne State University BOOST Award, January 2015, $35,000.
- NUR 2120 The Nurse and the Individual (6 or 5 cr) 1980 1998
- NUR 3300 Pathophysiology Related to Nursing Practice (2 cr.) 1981 1993
- NUR 4200 General Medical Surgical Senior Elective (4 cr.) 1981 82
- NUR 3120 Guest Lecturer: Patient with an Ostomy
- NUR 2050 Supportive Measures for Basic Care Needs 1998-Present
- NUR 7730 Field Practice in Clinical Teaching (Preceptor) (2 cr.) 1981 1989
- NUR 7960 Research Practicum Direction (3 4 cr.) 1981 present
- NUR 8990 Master's Thesis, Committee Member 1981 present
- NUR 7950 Field Study Direction (3 4 cr.) 1981 present
- NUR 9990 Doctoral Dissertation, Committee Member 1981 present
- NUR 7140 Adult Clinical Nursing III 1992 (Guest lecture 1990-92, lead teacher 1992-1995).
- NUR 7130 Acute Care Nursing I (1996)
- NUR 7120 Advanced Assessment (Guest lecturer: Skin Integrity and Wound Management. 1996, 1997,1998,1999,2000).
- NUR 7400 Physical & Functional Aging (Guest lecturer: Normal Age Related Skin Changes in the Elderly and Management of Common Skin Problems. 1997).
- NUR 7150 Clinical Judgment I (Guest lecturer: Diabetic Foot Assessment and Compression Therapy for Venous Disease. 1997).
- NUR 7180 Adult Primary Care II (Guest lecturer: Venous, Arterial and Diabetic Neuropathic Leg Changes. 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998,1999).
- NUR 7140 Adult Acute Care II (Lead teacher 1997- 2000; Guest lecturer substance abuse 2000).
- NUR 8100 Issues and Policies in Urban Health (Guest lecturer-Substance Abuse, 1999, 2001)
- NUR 7370 APN: Management of Neurological, Endocrine and Musculoskeletal Problems 2001, 2002, 2003
- NUR 8301 Issues and Policies in Urban Health 2001 (Guest Lecturer)
- NUR 7170 Primary Care Nursing, Guest Lecturer (Management of Peripheral Vascular Disease), 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- NUR 8301 Issues & Policies in Urban Health (course), 2002
- NUR 7370 APN: Management of Neurological, Endocrine and Muscular-skeletal Problems, Guest Lecturer (urinary incontinence & UTI; rheumatoid conditions), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- NUR 7165 APN: Guest Lecture: Substance Abuse, 2007, 2009, 2010
- NUR 8140 Professional Seminar I: Professional Socialization Fall 2010