Virginia Rice, PhD, RN, CNS, FAAN
- BSN - Boston University, Boston, MA
- MSN - Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- MA. - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- PhD - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Faculty Appointment, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit
Collaboration Director - Detroit Area Health Care institutions
- Patient Education
- Stress & Coping
- Behavior Change (e.g. Smoking Cessation)
Clinical Area(s) of Expertise
- Clinical Nurse Specialist - Medical/Surgical Nursing
Rice, V.H. (Ed.). (2012). Handbook of stress, coping, and health: Implications for nursing theory, research, and practice. 2nd Edition Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, California.
Boran, A., Khader, Y., Shawaheen, M., Amari, Z., & Rice, V.H. (2011). Work-related stress among health professionals in northern Jordan.
Rice V.H. (2011). Monitoring the tobacco epidemic with National, Regional, and International Databases and Systematic Reviews: Evidence for nursing research and clinical decision-Making. In advancing nursing science in tobacco control. Annual Review of Nursing Research, Volume 27, 91-114.
Boran, A., Shotar, A., Khatib, A. Hamza, M., S. Hadidi, M.S., & Rice, V.H. (2010). Patterns of cotinine excretion among diabetic, cardiac patients and healthy smokers in Jordan. Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 5(7), 476-483.
Rice, V.H., Weglicki, L., Templin, T., Jamil, H., & Hammad, A. (2009). Intervention Effects on Tobacco Use in Arab and Non-Arab American Adolescents. Addictive Behaviors, 25(3), 507-516
Sarna, L., Bialous, S., Rice, V.H., & Wewers, M.E. (2009). Promoting tobacco dependence treatment in nursing education. Drug and Alcohol Review, 28,507-516.
Weglicki L., Rice, V.H., Templin, T., Jamil, H., & Hammad, A. (2008). Comparison of Cigarette and Water Pipe Smoking By Arab and Non-Arab American Youth. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 35(4), 334-339.
Jamil, H., Templin,T., Fakhouri, M., Rice, V.H., Khouri, R., & Fakhouri, H. (2008). Comparison of Personal Characteristics, Tobacco Use, and Health States in Chaldean, Arab American, and non-Middle Eastern White Adults. Journal of Immigration and Minority Health,10(2), 245-248.
Rice, V.H. & Stead, L.F. (2008) Nursing interventions for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Issue 1, Art. No:1:CD001188, Oxford, UK.
Baker, O. & Rice, V.H. (2008). Predictors of Narghile (Water-pipe) smoking in Yemeni American adolescents. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 19:24-32.
Weglicki, L.S., Templin, T., Hammad, A., Jamil, H., Abou-Mediene, S., Farroukh, M., & Rice, V.H. (2007). Tobacco use patterns among high school students: Do Arab American youth differ? Ethnicity & Disease, 17(2), Suppl 3, 22-24.
Rice, V.H., Templin, T., Hammad, A., Weglicki, L., Jamil, H., & Abou-Mediene, S. (2007) Collaboration study of tobacco use and its predictors in Arab and non Arab American 9th graders. Ethnicity & Disease Journal,17(2) Supplement 3, 19-21
Weglicki, L., Templin, T., Jamil, H., Abou-Mediene, S., Dakroub, M., Hammad, A, & Rice, V.H. (2007). Tobacco use prevalence rates among 14 to 18 year old high school students: Do Arab American Youth differ? Ethnicity & Disease Journal, 17(2), Suppl 3, 22-24.
Jamil, H., Rice, V.H., Hammad, A., Jamil, L., & Pass, H. (2006). Tobacco use of Arab American adults in Southeast Detroit. Iraqi Medical Journal, 52(1):56-61.
Rice, V.H. (2006). Nursing interventions for smoking cessation: Meta-analysis Update. Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care, 35(3),147-163.
Wewers, M.E., Sarna L., & Rice, V.H. (2006). Nursing research and treatment of tobacco dependence: State of the Science. Nursing Research, 55(4) Sup1, S11-S15.
Rice, V.H., Weglicki, L., Templin, T., Hamad, A., Jamil, H., & Kulwicki, A. (2006). Tobacco use and its predictors for Arab American adolescents. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 52(2), 327-342.
Rice, V.H., & Stead, L.F. (2006). Nursing interventions for smoking cessation. The Cochrane Library, Issue 2, 2003. Oxford, UK.
Rice, V.H. (2005). Arab American youth tobacco use research. Ethnicity & Research,15 (Suppl.1) 54-56.
- Rice, V.H. (PI) Health effects of adolescent water pipe smoking with & without cigarette smoking. NIH: National Institute of Drug Abuse. 9/2012 - 8/2015.
- Kuhn, G. & Rice, V.H. (Co-PIs) Pfizer Medical Education Grant to examine tobacco control teaching for Medical Students and their use of same clinically.2009-2011.
- Rice, V.H. (PI) WSU Bridge Funding Grant to study tobacco use in Jordan. 2008-2010
- Rice, V.H. (PI) Development and Evaluation of an Arab American Cancer Awareness Program (AA-CAP): A two phase study. Funded by Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation of Michigan. 2004-2007.
- Rice, V.H. (PI) Arab American Youth: Tobacco Use and Intervention. Funded by NIH: National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. May 1, 2000 through April 30, 2006.
- NUR 7010 Master's Nursing Research
- NUR 7110 Human Responses and Experiences in Health & Illness
- NUR 7120 Advanced Nursing Assessment of Adults (Adult Acute Care Nursing Program)
- NUR 7998 Master's Research Project
- NUR 8050 Advanced Quantitative Research Methods
- NUR 8100 Issues in Scientific Integrity
- NUR 8200 Topical Doctoral Seminar in Nursing: Stress & Coping: Theory and Research
- NUR 8150 Professional Seminar II
- NUR 8230 Individual, family, and community caregiving: Focus on urban environments