Cynthia Bell, PhD
Cynthia Bell, PhD
- BSN - Indiana Wesleyan University, Marion, IN
- MSN (Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist) - Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
- PhD (Clinical Nursing Science; minor: Interdisciplinary Health Sciences) - Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
- Postdoctoral Fellowship (Adolescent & Young Adult Behavioral Oncology Research) - Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- Communication strategies for care providers when the patient is an adolescent or young adult living with advanced cancer
- Palliative care and decision-making
- psychosocial issues related to advanced cancer
Clinical Area(s) of Expertise
- Behavioral Oncology Research Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA)
- Advanced Cancer- AYA
Bell, C.J., Skiles, J.L., Pradhan, K.R., Champion, V.L., (2010). End-of-Life Experiences in Adolescents Dying with Cancer. Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer 18 (7) 827-835, DOI 10.1007/s00520-009-0716-1.
Ziner, K., Sledge, G.W., Bell, C.J., Johns, S., Miller, K.D., Champion, V.L. (2012). Predicting Fear of Breast Cancer Recurrence and Self-Efficacy in Survivors by Age at Diagnosis. Oncology Nursing Forum 39(3).
Foster, T.L., Bell, C.J., McDonald, C., Harris, J., Gilmer, M.J., (2012). Symptom Management of Spiritual Suffering in Pediatric Palliative Care. The Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing 14(2) 109-115.
Foster, T.L., Bell, C., McDonald, C., Harris, J., & Gilmer, M.J. (2012, Invited manuscript). Palliative nursing care for children and adolescents with cancer. Nursing: Research and Reviews 2012(2) 17-25.
Bell, C.J., (2012). Approaching End-of-Life Discussions with Adolescents and Young Adults. APHON Counts, Winter Issue.
Champion, V.L., Ziner, K.W., Monahan, P.O., Stump, T.E., Cella D., Smith, L.G., Bell, C.J., Von Ah, D., Sledge, G. (2013). Development and Psychometric Testing of a Breast Cancer Survivor Self Efficacy Scale. Oncology Nursing Forum 40 (6), DOI 10.1188/13.ONF.E403-E410.
Wiener, L., Weaver, M., Bell, C.J., Samsom-Daly, U.M., (2015). Threading the cloak: palliative care education for care providers of adolescents and young adults with cancer. Clinical Oncology in Adolescents and Young Adults 2015:5-1-18, http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/COAYA.S49176.
Weaver, M., Heinze, K.E., Bell, C.J., Wiener, L., Garee, A.M., Kelly, K.P., Casey, R.L., Watson, A., Hinds, P.S. (April 28, 2015, online first). Establishing Psychosocial Palliative Care Standards for Children and Adolescents with Cancer and Their Families: An Integrative Review. Palliative Medicine. DOI 10.1177/0269216315583446
Weaver, M., Heinze, K.E., Kelly, K.P., Wiener, L., Casey, R.L., Bell, C.J., Wolfe, J., Garee, A.M., Watson, A., Hinds, P.S., (2015). Palliative Care as a Standard of Care in Pediatric Oncology. Pediatric Blood and Cancer 62:S829-S833. DOI 10.1002/pbc_25695.
Bell, C.J., Smythe, E., Diver, J., Dickens, D. Hinds, P.S. (2016). Exploring Readiness to Engage in Difficult Discussions with Adolescents Living with Advanced Cancer. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation 22(3) Supplement 1 S115-116, March 2016 (published abstract).
Honors and Awards
2012 APHON Counts Writing Award
• April 2014- October 2015 Adding Essential Instrumentation Skills for Use with Adolescents Living with Advanced Cancer (PI: Bell) Career Development Award, ONS Foundation through unrestricted Grant from Genentech, Inc., Mentor: Pamela Hinds, PhD, RN, FAAN, Children’s National Health System, Washington D.C.
• Evaluating Feasibility of Recruitment and Online Data Collection in Adolescents and Young Adults with Cancer (PI: Bell) University Research Grant
• Describing Pediatric Early Care Patients – A Palliative Care Approach (PI: Bell)- Hospice of Michigan
• Evaluating Feasibility of Social Media Recruitment and Online Data Collection in Adolescents and Young Adults with Cancer (PI: Bell) University Research Grant- WSU
• Measuring Readiness to Engage in Discussions in Adolescents and Young Adults Living with Advanced Cancer (PI: Bell) -Currently enrolling adolescents and young adults with advanced cancer in Michigan.
- NUR 4010 Integrative Care of Children and Their Families
- NUR 7015 Research for Evidence-Based Nursing I
- NUR 7018 Research for Evidence-Based Nursing II
- NUR 4990/7990/8990 Facilitating Conversations around End-of-Life Care