Admission to the B.S.N. program
Applicants are eligible to apply to the Traditional Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) program if they are entering professional nursing for the first time and meet the following criteria:
- Completed a minimum of 30 semester credits and all prerequisites by the end of the winter semester of the year you intend to apply
- Completed all prerequisites with a grade of “C” or better
- Have a minimum of 3.0 grade point average in all prerequisite courses*
- Grades earned in professional nursing courses will be taken into account
- If the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required, minimum 101 total score (minimum 25 Listening, 25 Reading, 25 Writing and 26 Speaking)
NOTE: Applications are no longer being accepted for fall 2016.
Important deadlines for fall 2017
|Jan. 31, 2017||Application (online) and transcripts through Dec. 31, 2016 must be submitted to Wayne State University.|
|March 31, 2017||Admission decisions will be made, contingent upon successful completion of any outstanding prerequisite courses taken during the Winter 2017 semester.|
|June 1, 2017||Final offical transcripts and additional documentation must be submitted to WSU. (Documents must be received by 5 p.m. on June 1, not postmarked by that date.)|
- Admission is highly competitive and is based on academic performance, especially science coursework
- Transcripts are reviewed for patterns of withdrawals and repeated courses; only one repeat is acceptable in one prerequisite course
- Science prerequisites will be weighted 55% and other prerequisites will be weighted 45%.
- Transcripts are reviewed for full-time scholarly achievement and promise of success in a rigorous science-based curriculum
- Admission granted prior to the winter semester would be contingent upon successful completion of any outstanding prerequisite courses taken during the winter semester. Successful completion will be defined as a final grade of “B” or better. Grades of less than “B” would result in removing the offer of admission.
(* This is a highly competitive program and average prerequisite grade point average will be higher than the minimum required 3.0 grade point average.)
Step 1 - Apply to Wayne State University
Unless you are already an undergraduate student at Wayne State University, you must submit a WSU application and all required documentation to the WSU Office of Undergraduate Admissions (apply and submit official transcripts by January 31, final official transcripts and remaining documentation due June 1). Documentation includes official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions sent directly from the institution to the WSU Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The address and phone number for that office is:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Wayne State University
P.O. Box 02759
Detroit MI 48202-0759
Step 2 - Apply to the College of Nursing (CON)
- Submit a CON secondary application by January 31.
- Note: If the application window did not open you may have a pop-up blocker installed that is blocking the application from opening. You can hold the CTRL key to allow a window or new link to open OR Add Nursing to your "DO NOT BLOCK" list to prevent this from happening again.
- A $50 application fee is due at the time of application. Documentation will not be reviewed until the fee has been paid. The fee is nonrefundable, so applicants should take care to apply for the appropriate admission year.
- Send transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to WSU by January 31.
- Send final official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to WSU by June 1.
- Send official test scores, if applicable, sent directly to the CON by January 1.
- Additional test scores are due by June 1:
- Submit any required WSU test scores (Math Competency) to the CON by January 31.
- All required documentation must be received by WSU by 5 p.m. on June 1, not postmarked by that date.
* All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated by a professional credentialing agency. The agency must then send a course-by-course evaluation report directly to the College of Nursing. Recommended agencies are Educational Credential Evaluators or World Education Services
Step 3 - Monitor your personal page
Once you have paid the College of Nursing Application fee, you will be given a password and ID to access your Personal Page. Monitor your Personal Page for updates on your application. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you note discrepancies or have questions.