April Vallerand PhD, RN, FAAN
(313) 577-0359 (Phone)
(248) 305-8451 (Fax)
Tuesdays 11:00-1:00 & by appointment
- BSN - Mount St. Mary’s College, Los Angeles, CA
- MSN - California State University, Los Angeles, CA
- PhD Nursing - University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Postgraduate-University of Pennsylvania, School of Nursing, Philadelphia, PA
Postdoctoral Fellow in Psychosocial Oncology
- The maintenance and improvement of functional status in patients with chronic pain
- The identification and prevention of pain-related disparities
- Cancer pain management
- Self-treatment of pain in the community
- Pharmacological management of pain
- The use of opioids in the management of chronic pain
- Vallerand, A.H., Hasenau, S.M., Templin, T., & Shim, S.M. Improving functional status in African Americans with cancer pain. National Cancer Institute, RO1 CA149432-01A1, 4/1/11-3/31/14. $1,078,000.00.
Clinical Area of Expertise
- Pain Management
- Pharmacologic Management of Chronic Pain
- The Use of Opioids to Manage Chronic Pain
- NUR 2060 Nursing Implications of Drug Administration
- NUR 7555 Pharmacotherapeutics for Advanced Practice
- NUR 8210 Determinants of Health and Health Disparities: Focus on Urban Environments
- Deglin, J.H., Vallerand, A.H., & Sanoski, C (2011). Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses (12th ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.
- Deglin, J.H., Vallerand, A.H. & Sanoski, C. (2011). Nurse's Med Deck (12th ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.
- Vallerand, A.H., Hasenau, S.M. & Templin, T. (in press). Improving cancer pain management in the home. In E, Chow & J. Merrick (Eds.). Advanced Cancer. Pain and Quality of Life. Nova Publishing.
- Roop, J., Payne, J., & Vallerand, A.H. (in press). Theories and conceptual models to guide research. In C.R. King & P. S. Hinds (Eds.), Quality of life: From nursing and patient perspectives: Theory, research, and practice (3rd ed.). Boston: Jones & Bartlet.
- Vallerand, A.H. Musto, S., & Polomano, R.C. (in press). Nursing's role in cancer pain management. Current Pain and Headache Reports.
- Fouladbakhsh, J.M, Vallerand, A.H. (in press). Nondrug Therapies For Pain Management Among Rural Older Adults. Pain Management Nursing.
- Vallerand, A.H. & Nowak, L. (2010). Chronic Opioid Therapy for Nonmalignant Pain: The Patients Perspective Part II - Barriers to Chronic Opioid Therapy. Pain Management Nursing, 11(2), 126-131.
- Vallerand, A.H., Hasenau, S.M., & Templin, T. (2010). Improving cancer pain management in the home. Journal of Pain Management, 3(1), 41-52.
- Vallerand, A.H. & Nowak, L. (2009). Chronic Opioid Therapy for Nonmalignant Pain: The Patients Perspective Part 1 - Life Before and After Opioid Therapy. Pain Management Nursing, 10(3),165-172.
- Pieper, B.A., Vallerand, A.H., Nordstrom, C., & DiNardo, E. (2009). Comparison of bodily pain: Persons with and without venous ulcers in an indigent care clinic. Journal Wound Ostomy, and Continence Nursing, 36(5), 493-502.
- Milne, H.C. & Vallerand, A.H. (2009). Chronic Angina and the Treatment with ranolazine: Facts and recommendations. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing 24, 90-95.
- Vantine, M., Falahee, M., Vallerand, A.H. (2009). Neuropsychiatric Concerns Related to Influenza Treatment. The Nurse Practitioner 34(2), 40-44.